Sunday, January 12, 2014

Purpose Redefined:: Weekends with Chesterton

"The men who have really been the bold artists, the realistic artists, the uncompromising artists, are the men who have turned out, after all, to be writing "with a purpose.""

                                                                                                                                    Heretics

Over the last few months, I debated over whether or not blogging was really for me. I have three chickadees under 6 and a fourth on the way; I barely get my to-do list done every day. But then... Sarah at Amongst Lovely Things started this wonderful link up, Weekends with Chesterton! How could I resist?

I have this great book called The Wisdom of Mr. Chesterton that I was perusing after the inspiration mentioned. I found the above quote near the end. Well, as always, Mr. Chesterton did inspire me to once again hit the keys with fervor. However, I was left with the idea of my purpose for blogging. After a week of discernment and discussion with the husband, I think my purpose is to simply show an authentic Catholic homeschooling family that struggles with everyday to become the people God intended us to be.


10 comments:

  1. Ashley, I love it. I have let my blog go and I have struggled with whether or not I should continue it. I love your purpose of simply telling your story. I'm not Catholic and I don't home school - I teach those public school kiddos ;) - but each of us, as Christian mothers and teachers of young people, need to be inspired and encouraged. I know that most often my greatest encouragement and inspiration comes from the struggles and triumphs of other mothers. Thanks for sharing your story.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. Kelly, I miss having coffee with you tremendously! If all public school teachers were like you, I would send my chickadees. You have this wonderful kind but firm way of instituting boundaries that I envy! I hope to catch up soon better!

      Delete
  2. I just started a blog too. It is hard to know where the best place to focus energies are. I'm glad I found you through the link up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am excited to check out your blog!

      Delete
  3. A fourth on the way?! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are pretty excited. I loved your feature. It is so nice to know that I survive a house of extroverts!

      Delete
  4. I am amazed at all you women with young children, who still manage to write blog posts! I don't see how I ever could have done it. I'm very glad you do, and for the simple purpose that you put forth here, as a witness of who and what your family is, as a testimony to God. There are a lot of women who get much-needed encouragement from reading online. And I suppose blogging might be less of a time-drain than the long phone calls some stay-at-home mothers used to need pre-Internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to keep a journal but never could. I am hoping that the social aspect of the blog will keep me going. I do like that I can set a time to do it, so I can prioritize it on the mile long list to do. Thank your for your wonderful comment.

      Delete
  5. And the blogosphere is a better place for your being in it. :)

    I need to dig up some more quotes from Chesterton on writing. A man who wrote as much as he likely said something more about it, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your words. I have long admired the sense of beauty you bring to the internet. I love the Weekends with Chesterton; its like a scavenger hunt all week to find that perfect quip. I have a little book arranged by subject that has lots of Chesterton quotes and there were like 4 total from him. I would love to find out if he wrote on his process!

      Delete