Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Preperation Begins :: Weekends with Chesterton

"We are always near the breaking-point when we care only for what is legal and nothing for what is lawful."
 
 
 

 
 
Until four years ago, Lent was a very abstract concept for me because I had never learned to connect my sacrifice with prayer or with creating a better me. I would always give up a creature comfort like tea or some favorite food; however, the buck stopped there. I never considered how giving up tea was teaching me to love my fellow man or how I could see Christ in my suffering. I was only following the legalities of Mother Church not the law written on my heart.
 
Four years ago, I re-discovered Septuagesima Sunday at our parish in Mississippi. Septuagesima Sunday marks the beginning of the pre-Lenten season in the old calendar of the Church (pre 1970). It is a time of preparation and discernment. To me, its like training before the marathon of Lent, and I always need some spiritual preparation before Lent.
 
Septuagesima allows me time to pray, discern, and prepare myself mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually for Lent. I have found that over time my Lenten seasons have become simpler and more meaningful because I have learned more and more how to connect my sacrifices to actual growth.
 
How we prepare (or rather attempt to prepare) our house for Lent during Septuagesima:
 
1. We add a quiet period of reflection to our nights before retiring. My husband and I both take 15 minutes to pray or journal or a nightly examination.
 
2. We eat the meat in our freezers as well as any meat stocks or freezer meals with meat, since we are lacto-ovo vegetarians for Lent.
 
3. We add a Saint story for the chickadees each night after the decade of Rosary they say.
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I really like your simple practices- these seem to me to be the kind of practices that have the most impact on our spiritual growth.

    Thanks for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I over complicate everything normally but Lent has been one of those pruning moments from God ever since I had children. Each year things get simpler, and I find myself growing less attached to my expectations!

      Delete
  2. Love that you add a saint story for the kiddos. We have nightly family prayer and that would be something great for us to implement this upcoming Lenten season. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great Saint books for children now with lessor and more well known Saints. I always love coming across a Saint that has fallen off the grid!

      Delete